AFRICAN AMERICAN MUSEUM OF SOUTHERN ILLINOIS: Summer Skin Essentials
African American Museum of Southern Illinois recently issued the following announcement.
It’s no secret that summer sunshine can wreak havoc on your skin, not to mention the perils that come with going barefoot on the beach or swimming in chlorinated pools. Fortunately, skin care in the modern age has made major advances, and we’re better equipped now than ever before to take care of our health and our bodies while we enjoy the pleasures of summer. To ensure your skin stays safe and silky smooth, make sure you keep these 7 products around:
1. Primer with SPF: You might have a tendency to want to skip the primer, but it’s even more important that you don’t when summer hits. Not only do primers help keep your makeup from running or looking splotchy, they also provide SPF protection. Even though many foundations do as well, there are some days you might want to go bare faced, and on those occasions you need something else to protect the delicate skin on your face.
2. Lightweight Foundation: Whether you’re comfortably in your air conditioned house or taking in the scenery outside, summer is not the time for heavy foundation. Your skin needs to breathe, even more so when it’s hot and sweat is a common occurrence. Depending on how much time you spend in the sun, you might also need to switch to a darker tone than that of your winter foundation.
3. Sunscreen SPF 30 or 50: Don’t forget about the rest of your body when you’re thinking about sun protection! Sure, it can feel very time consuming to have to apply sunscreen every time you plan to leave the house, but if you think about it like a lotion and work it into your summer skincare routine, it’s less of a chore. No matter your skin tone or your propensity for burns, you should be going for SPF 30, minimum.
4. Facial Mist: When you’re craving a cool and refreshing drink, your skin probably is, too. Dehydration and summer heat go hand in hand, and your skin reacts badly to a lack of water. After you guzzle down a glass or two, pull out a face mist to give your skin a drink. Choose one with naturally cooling ingredients, like aloe or cucumber.
5. Lightweight Moisturizer: While you might be tempted to lather on the moisturizer after spending the day out in the sun, it’s better to choose something lighter, especially since your skin is more likely to be oily during the summer.
6. Shea Butter Lotion: Cracked heels are unavoidable during the summer - unless you’re proactive about it. Keep your feet sandal-ready, smooth, and more importantly painless by choosing an effective and luxurious lotion.
7. Aloe Vera Gel: For the inevitable sunburn, it’s always a good idea to keep aloe vera gel on hand. Go for one that’s cold-pressed and doesn’t have any added scents. It’s cooling, soothing, and great for your skin’s health.
Show some skin with confidence and put your best face forward this summer by embracing the products that are designed to help you look and feel your best.
Original source can be found here.