Carbondale Public Library Board of Trustees met June 14
Carbondale Public Library Board of Trustees met June 14.
Here is the minutes as provided by the board:
Call to order.
Called to order at 4:30 p.m.
Introductions, audience and visitors. Visitors are asked to introduce themselves at this time and present any
issues they wish to discuss. Visitors wishing to address specific agenda items will be granted two to five
minutes at the discretion of the President, not to exceed a total of twenty minutes. The Library Board may
cut short any comments that are irrelevant, repetitious, or disruptive. (Id. at 1425-26).
Philip Brown, President
Joyce Hayes, Secretary
Sharifa Stewart (1)
Barbara Levine, Vice President (1)
Don Prosser, Treasurer (1)
Harriet Simon (2)
Susan Tulis (1)
The number following the Trustee’s name indicates the number of absences this fiscal year.
Diana Brawley Sussman, Library Director
Gwen Hall Grosshenrich, Finance Manager
1. Election of Trustee officers (Treasurer and Secretary) to begin service July, 2017. Philip Brown asked
Joyce Hayes to continue as secretary. Julian Pei seconded. MOTION passed unanimously.
Roland Person nominated Julian Pei as Treasurer. Sharifa Stewart seconded. MOTION passed unanimously.
1. Approval of May 10, 2017 minutes. Roland Person moved to accept the minutes. Julian Pei seconded.
Motion passed unanimously.
Correspondence and communications.
1. Approval of bills payable up to and including bills due June 16, 2017 to July 15, 2017. Reviewed bills.
The library rented a lift for masonry repairs. Philip Brown moved to pay bills. Roland Person seconded.
Motion passed unanimously
2. Acceptance of the financial report for May 2017. $100,000 was transferred from working cash to
checking to pay bills. We have enough in reserves to pay expenses until property tax revenue arrives. Philip
Brown moved to accept the financial report. Joyce Hayes seconded. MOTION passed unanimously.
1. Building and grounds maintenance. Discussed masonry work in progress. Harville Masonry discovered
that the expansion joints are filled, in many areas, with mortar, which defeats their purpose. After consulting
with an architect and referring to the blueprints Phil Harville determined that the mortar needs to be
removed. He determined that renting a lift would allow him to cut away the mortar, and the lift would allow
him to work faster than using scaffolding, so he will not increase his labor cost. He will also need to
purchase a diamond saw blade.
2. Illinois Public Library Annual Report (IPLAR). Discussed the Capital Needs Assessment included in
1. Vote to appoint FOIA/OMA officer(s). Julian Pei made a motion to reappoint Diana Brawley Sussman
and Gwen Hall Grosshenrich as FOIA officers. Roland Person seconded.
Roland Person made a motion to appoint Diana Brawley Sussman and Philip Brown as OMA officers.
Philip Brown seconded. Motion passed unanimously. Diana will email the OMA training link to those
who need to take it.
2. Review minutes from closed sessions. Philip Brown moved to keep executive minutes closed. Julian Pei
seconded. Motion passed unanimously.
3. Adopt prevailing wage ordinance. Roland Person moved to adopt the Prevailing Wage ordinance. Philip
Brown seconded. Prevailing wage ordinance. Motion passed unanimously with 5 ayes, 0 nays, 4 absent, 0
4. Patron behavior. Four people were banned this month until and unless further action from the board.
Discussed each disruptive incident individually. Julian Pei moved to keep bans as is. Philip Brown
seconded. Motion passed unanimously. Discussed possible teen/child safety workshops.
Adjourned at 5:20 p.m.
Next Board Meetings for 2017 (all in Public Library meeting room, 4:30 p.m., second Wednesday of each
month): June 14, July 12, August 9, September 13, October 11, November 8, December 13.
Organizations in this Story
405 West Main Street
Carbondale, IL - 62901