Carbondale Public Library Board of Trustees met July 12
Carbondale Public Library Board of Trustees met July 12.
Here is the minutes as provided by the board:
Call to order.
Called to order at 4:30 p.m.
Introductions, audience and visitors. Visitors are asked to introduce themselves at this time and present any
issues they wish to discuss. Visitors wishing to address specific agenda items will be granted two to five
minutes at the discretion of the President, not to exceed a total of twenty minutes. The Library Board may
cut short any comments that are irrelevant, repetitious, or disruptive. (Id. at 1425-26).
Philip Brown, President
Barbara Levine, Vice President (1)
Joyce Hayes, Secretary
Harriet Simon (2)
Sharifa Stewart (1)
Susan Tulis (1)
Don Prosser, Treasurer (2)
The number following the Trustee’s name indicates the number of absences this fiscal year.
Diana Brawley Sussman, Library Director
Gwen Hall Grosshenrich, Finance Manager
The board congratulates Diana Brawley Sussman on her Illinois Librarian of the Year Award: “Diana, we
are exceedingly proud of you. Certainly all of us realize what an outstanding librarian and administrator you
are. And that your heart and mind are consistently in the right place. Throw in your very pro-active,
forward-thinking approach, and you have a highly regarded director. Diana, receiving the ILA honor is
confirmation of your remarkable ability and achievement.”
1. Approval of June 14, 2017 minutes. Susan Tulis made a motion to approve the minutes. Roland Person
seconded. Motion passed unanimously.
Correspondence and communications.
1. Approval of bills payable up to and including bills due July 16, 2017 to August 15, 2017. Bills include
masonry work. Philip Brown moved to pay the bills. Harriet Simon seconded. MOTION passed
2. Acceptance of the financial report for June 2017. The Finance Manager reported that we have finished
out the grant cycle for this year’s Project Next Generation. Julian Pei moved to accept the financial report.
Joyce Hayes seconded. MOTION passed unanimously.
1. Building and grounds maintenance. Reviewed progress of masonry work.
2. Illinois Public Library Annual Report (IPLAR). Reviewed the report, noting the following statistics:
- Total annual visits/attendance in the library: FY16 107,884; FY17 127,679
- Total reference transactions: FY16 45,487; FY17 47,535
- Number of Internet sessions: FY16 27,169; FY17 27,273
- Total number of programs: FY16 429; FY17 542
- Total program attendance: FY16 7,660; FY17 8,354
- State revenue down $21,849. FY16 Per Capita Grant $32,378; FY17 Per Capita Grant $19,967. FY16
Replacement Tax $46,843; FY17 Replacement Tax $37,405
- Total number of materials loaned: FY16 140,963; FY17 138,486
- Total number of unexpired registered users: FY16 3,131; FY17 2,885 (There are two ways to count these
numbers, so these statistics appear lower than we believe they are).
The board discussed ways to improve card registration, as many users do not have cards, but attend
programs, and use the computers as guests. Philip Brown suggested that we encourage program attendees to
register for library cards.
3. Other. We had excellent programmatic success in partnership with WSIU and the Rainbow Café for the
Real Boy program.
Adjourned at 5:03 p.m.
Next Board Meetings for 2017 (all in Public Library meeting room, 4:30 p.m., second Wednesday of each
month): August 9, September 13, October 11, November 8, December 13.
Organizations in this Story
405 W. Main St.