Illinois Heartland Library System Board of Directors met February 28.
Illinois Heartland Library System Board of Directors met February 28.
Here is the minutes provided by the Board:
Call to Order:
-Sandy West called the meeting to order at 5:03 p.m.
Carbondale: Clyde Hall
Champaign: Sarah Isaacs, Geoffrey Bant, Beverly Obert, Charlene Topel
Edwardsville: Sandy West, Tina Hubert, Mary Barteau, Mary Beil, Gary Denue, Sara Zumwalt
Illinois State Library: Rachel Fuller
Phone: Gary Jones
Absent: John Phillips, excused
Carbondale: Troy Brown
Champaign: Mary Johnston
Edwardsville: Stacie Bushong, Leslie Bednar, Rhonda Johnisee, Debbie Owen, Chris Dawdy, Adrienne
Elam, Brandon Chapman
Illinois State Library: Greg McCormick, Debra Aggertt, Karen Egan, Tom Huber
Appoint Deborah Owen to Vacant Board Seat:
–Tina Hubert motion. Sara Zumwalt second. Motion carried.
-Gary Denue motion. Debbie Owen second. Motion carried.
Approval of Bills January 2017:
-Tina Hubert motion. Sara Zumwalt second. Motion carried by roll call vote. Geoff Bant: yes, Mary Barteau: yes, Mary Beil: yes, Gary Denue: yes, Rachel Fuller: yes, Clyde Hall: yes, Tina Hubert: yes, Sarah Isaacs: yes, Gary Jones: yes, Debbie Owen: yes, Charlene Topel: yes, Sandy West: yes, Sara Zumwalt: yes, Bev Obert: no
-Tina Hubert motion. Rachel Fuller second. Motion carried unanimously by roll call vote.
General Fund Cash Position Analysis:
– As of 31 January, $689,414.36 has been transferred from General Fund reserves to cover General Fund expenditures. Cash at 1 July 2016 was $4,906,560.88. To date, IHLS has received the first allotment of the FY2017 System Area & Per Capita Grant (SAPG) of $626,746.00. We are anticipating the remaining FY2017 SAPG allotment of $1,362,924.98. On the attachment Scenario 1 represents projected number of months available cash will support operations at FY2017 budgeted rate if no other grant funds are received which by our analysis is approximately 20 months as of 31 January. Scenario 2 represents projected number of months for operations with remaining FY2017 SAPG allotment received and we estimate that at approximated 26 months as of 31 January.
-The Carrier Mills Stonefort Public Library staff and Ellen Popit were interviewed by The Southern newspaper re: proposed property tax freeze. Member Day announcement: April 18 at Effingham Convention Center (8:30 to 3:15). The Membership Director is attending a special meeting this evening of the O’Fallon Township High School special board meeting. IHLS staff shared the new IHLS logo in addition to the thank you card for elected officials who have supported IHLS.
-Debbie Owen motion. Tina Hubert second. Motion carried unanimously by roll call vote.
Illinois State Library Report:
- Greg McCormick shared that Illinois State Library (ISL) is moving forward with school library grants. ISL has moved forward with public library grants and completing review process. Currently reviewing public library construction grants under the Live and Learn Construction Grant Program. Currently the IL Senate is working on the “Grand Plan” for FY2017 and FY2018. 13 senate bills must pass for the effort to go forward. Governor’s budget address for FY2018 currently being analyzed—a number of items may change the budget numbers: property tax freeze, pension language.
-Sandy West reported a routine meeting.
-Tina Hubert reported a routine meeting. Committee will be reviewing policies in March.
Membership & Policy
-Rachel Fuller reported they added two items to be reviewed later on agenda. Offered an overview on the certification process.
Facilities & Operations
-Sarah Isaacs reported the committee did not meet.
-Geoff Bant reported the committee did not meet. Their next meeting is March 2, 2017.
-Leslie Bednar reported the committee extended the nomination deadline to February 28 to garner additional interest.
Board Citation Review:
-Clyde Hall presented Public Funds Deposit Act (30 ILCS 225) and Public Funds Investment Act (30 ILCS 235).
-The Champaign roof work has been completed by KingLar. This includes repairs to south side of roof damaged by roofing equipment knocked down by high winds, soffit, fascia and flashing around HVAC equipment on roof. The only remaining activity is caulking and an inspection by an insurance company who will provide the roof’s 20-year guarantee. At this time we do not have a final invoice.
Proposed Revision Bylaws – Article VIII:
-Policy and Membership Committee proposed a change to Article VIII to apply to membership engagement, and specifically meetings such as MembersMatter. Sara Zumwalt motion. Mary Beil second. Motion carried unanimously by roll call vote.
Proposed Endorsements and Sponsorship Policy:
– Policy and Membership Committee proposed a policy statement to address external program sponsorship and other endorsements. Sara Zumwalt motion. Gary Denue second. Motion carried unanimously by roll call vote.
Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA):
-Nothing new to add this month.
RAILS Draft Membership Standards:
-Nothing new this month.
Attorney General Opinion:
-Discussed changes to hiring process earlier in the meeting.
Appoint Clyde Hall Open Meetings Act Officer
–Recommendation to appoint Clyde Hall to serve as our Open Meetings Act Officer for the remainder of FY2017. Mary Barteau motion. Gary Denue second. Motion carried unanimously.
Local Government Travel Expense Control Act:
– IHLS Resolution 2017-01 is our commitment to adhere to the recently enacted Local Government Travel Expense Control Act (50 ILCS 150). Tina Hubert motion. Debbie Owen second. Motion carried unanimously by roll call.
FY2017 Plan of Service:
– Leslie Bednar reviewed status of goals and activities for the FY2017 Plan of Service. Considering our current financial restraints IHLS staff made unanticipated advancements in data security (new firewalls at all four locations) and progress toward record retention project. Majority of activities in plan of service are ongoing and will continue as they support resource sharing. Activities placed on hold for a later date primarily due to financial considerations.
-Policy and Membership recommend suspension of Centreville Public Library. Sara Zumwalt motion. Rachel Fuller second. Motion carried unanimously by roll call vote.
-ESSA and RAILS membership standards will remain as placeholders.
– Karen Egan thanked IHLS member libraries. Sent survey to director’s list seeking input for Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA) projects. Received 100 responses from IHLS members within five hours. Tina Hubert reminded everyone that local property taxes do not have an impact on the state budget.
-Request board members respond to a Doodle poll as soon as possible regarding the date of the June board/annual meeting. In order to avoid scheduling conflicts with the ALA conference two alternative dates have been proposed. The Executive committee is also considering holding this meeting in Carbondale. Sara Zumwalt will present board citation Public Officer Prohibited Activities (50 ILCS 105) in March. Bev Obert will present board citation American with Disabilities Act (42 USC 1201) in April. Reminder to complete brief bio for the IHLS website.
-Sara Zumwalt motion. Debbie Owen second. Motion carried unanimously by roll call vote. Adjourn 6:25 p.m.
Organizations in this Story
6725 Goshen Road
Edwardsville, IL - 62025