Jackson Zoning Exploration Subcommittee considers traveling around county
At a recent meeting, the Jackson County Zoning Exploration Subcommittee discussed a proposal to hold meetings at various sites throughout the county to give residents better access to the subcommittee and its activities.
Below are the minutes for this meeting, as provided by the subcommittee.
ZONING EXPLORATION SUBCOMMITTEE
WEDNESDAY, JULY 6, 2016 5:00 PM
JACKSON COUNTY COURTHOUSE
Page 1 of 2
Call to Order (5:00 PM)
Members Present: Chapman, Erbes and Peterson
Also Present: John S. Rendleman
Approval of Minutes
I. 16-0458 June 21, 2016 Minutes
A motion was made by Peterson, seconded by Erbes, to approve the June 21, 2016 minutes as presented. The motion carried by unanimous vote.
II. 16-0459 Communications
The committee reviewed the recent article from the Southern Illiniosan. Additionally, they reviewed some questions that had been emailed in last month by a citizen.
III. 16-0460 Review of Citizen Survey Responses
The Committee Coordinator Updated the subcommittee on the new responses since the last meeting and notified them that responses are still coming in everyday.
IV. 16-0461 Future Meetings Travel Plans
The subcommittee discussed the idea of traveling throughout the county and have the subcommittee meetings in places more convenient for citizens. Mr. Erbes discussed that he believes the best way to separate the meetings would be by townships. Mr. Erbes proposed six different meetings:
1. Bradley & Kincaid Townships at Campbell Hill Civic Center,
2. Degognia & Fountain Bluff Townships at Bottoms Up or Jones Ridge,
3. Sandridge & Grand Tower Townships at Grand Tower or Gorham,
4. Levan, Somerset, Murphysboro, & Pomona,
5. Ora, Vergennes, & Elk,
6. DeSoto, Carbondale, & Makanda. When these meetings do take place Ms. Peterson requested that security/police be at each meeting. The subcommittee discussed postponing these traveling meetings until they are able to gather more information and also to give them time to educate themselves and fellow board members. The subcommittee decided to bring in guests to do educational presentations about the purpose of zoning, surrounding counties that have zoning, citizens with land that is both zoned and non-zoned, how zoning relates to historic preservation, and how zoning would effect economic development. The committee coordinator will work on setting up speakers for the meetings held before the County Board meetings.
Adjourn (6:25 PM)
Erbes moved and Peterson seconded to adjourn, motion carried.
Organizations in this Story
1001 Walnut St
Murphysboro, IL - 62966