Carbondale Public Library Board of Trustees met April 12
Carbondale Public Library Board of Trustees met April 12.
Here is the minutes as provided by the board:
Call to order.
Called to order at 4:30 p.m.
Introductions, audience and visitors. Visitors are asked to introduce themselves at this time and present any
issues they wish to discuss. Visitors wishing to address specific agenda items will be granted two to five
minutes at the discretion of the President, not to exceed a total of twenty minutes. The Library Board may
cut short any comments that are irrelevant, repetitious, or disruptive. (Id. at 1425-26).
Philip Brown, President (2)
Barbara Levine, Vice President (3)
Joyce Hayes, Secretary (3)
Roland Person (2)
Sharifa Stewart (3)
Don Prosser, Treasurer (3)
Julian Pei (4)
The number following the Trustee’s name indicates the number of absences this fiscal year.
Diana Brawley Sussman, Library Director
Gwen Hall Grosshenrich, Finance Manager
Four CCHS students
1. Approval of March 8, 2017 minutes. Roland Person moved to accept the minutes. Joyce Hayes seconded.
MOTION passed unanimously.
Correspondence and communications.
1. Letter received from the Office of the Secretary of State awarding the library its FY17 Per Capita grant
for funding through June 2018.
1. Approval of bills payable up to and including bills due April 16, 2017 to May 15, 2017. Discussed bills,
which include a lot of books and renewals for reference databases. Roland Person moved to pay bills. Joyce
Hayes seconded. MOTION passed unanimously.
2. Set Finance Committee meeting near end of April. Meeting set for April 26, 2017 at 4:30 p.m.
3. Philip Brown moved to authorize the finance committee to approve all bills to be paid by the last day of
the fiscal year, not to exceed budgetary authority. Barbara Levine seconded. MOTION passed unanimously.
4. Acceptance of the financial report for March 2017. We have received a seventh payment for replacement
tax. Normally there are seven payments, but the total received is about $10,000 short of what was budgeted.
Roland Person moved to accept the financial report. Joyce Hayes seconded. MOTION passed unanimously.
1. Building and grounds maintenance. Don Prosser made a motion to accept three proposals from Harville
Masonry to work on masonry, improve masonry drainage, and power-wash the building. Philip Brown
seconded. MOTION passed unanimously.
2. Reviewed April 11th budget hearing.
3. IHLS 2017 Board Elections. Board reviewed and chose candidates by consensus for the library’s vote.
4. Review and approval of Security Cameras policy. This was discussed and work continues on crafting this
5. Consider increasing daily Internet access for card holders from 90 minutes to 2 hours. This was discussed.
Often all of the computers are full, so this could increase the wait time for Internet service. We could
include this in a Strategic Planning survey to measure public interest. Sharifa Stewart suggested adding
6. Change date closed for Staff Day from May 19 to June 2, 2017. Roland Person moved to change the date
closed for Staff Day. Philip Brown seconded. MOTION passed unanimously.
7. Borrower’s Card policy review. Tabled.
8. Review of 11 Days for Compassion. There were 3 dozen programs throughout the community.
Patron behavior. Each recent incident was discussed. The board decided by consensus that all patrons
banned in March and April would remain banned until and unless there is further action from the board,
with the exception of one individual, initials P.Y., whose ban is lifted. P.Y. has exhibited no other
problematic behavior at the library over the course of several years apart from the accusation recently made
against him. His ban will be lifted, and he will be warned about monitoring his behavior in the future. The
ban of a youth on 2/28/17 will be up for reconsideration if the youth writes a letter of apology to the board.
Adjourned at 5:35 p.m
Organizations in this Story
405 West Main Street
Carbondale, IL - 62901