Carbondale Public Library Board of Trustees accepts financial report
Carbondale Public Library Board of Trustees met Wednesday, Jan. 11.
The Carbondale Public Library board of trustees oversees all operations at the library.
Here are the minutes as provided by Carbondale Public Library:
Carbondale Public Library Board of Trustees
Wednesday, January 11, 2017 Meeting Room
4:30 p.m. 405 West Main St.
Call to order.
Called to order at 4:30 p.m.
Introductions, audience and visitors. Visitors are asked to introduce themselves at this time and present any issues they wish to discuss. Visitors wishing to address specific agenda items will be granted two to five minutes at the discretion of the President, not to exceed a total of twenty minutes. The Library Board may cut short any comments that are irrelevant, repetitious, or disruptive. (Id. at 1425-26).
Philip Brown, President (2)
Joyce Hayes, Secretary (3)
Julian Pei (3)
Roland Person (2)
Don Prosser, Treasurer (3)
Barbara Levine, Vice President (3)
Sharifa Stewart (3)
The number following the Trustee’s name indicates the number of absences this fiscal year.
Diana Brawley Sussman, Library Director
Gwen Hall Grosshenrich, Finance Manager
Seven students from CCHS civics classes
1. Approval of the December 14, 2016 minutes. Susan Tulis made a motion to approve the minutes with the correction of one typo. Roland Person seconded. MOTION passed unanimously.
Correspondence and communications.
1. Approval of bills payable up to and including bills due January 16, 2016 to February 15, 2017. Bills include $2,600 to Schemel-Tarillion for completion of their contract on the Brush Building. Roland Person made a motion to pay bills. Susan Tulis seconded. MOTION passed unanimously.
Once all documentation is received from H&N Construction we will be billed for the final payment of $5,730 for their contract on the Brush Building. The architect has asked the Library Director whether the Board would want to pay that bill upon receipt of all required documents. Don Prosser moved to authorize the payment of $5,730 to H&N Construction upon the architect’s approval and receipt of all required documents. Roland Person seconded. MOTION passed unanimously.
2. Acceptance of the financial report for December 2016. The Finance Manager reported that we have just under $7,000 left to collect in property tax revenue. Harriet Simon made a motion to approve the financial report. Philip Brown seconded. MOTION passed unanimously.
3. Transfer of FY16 savings to reserves. Julian Pei made a motion to put $96,770.73 from FY16 savings into Reserves. Don Prosser seconded. MOTION passed unanimously.
1. Building and grounds maintenance and construction. The leak along the south edge of the Brush roof seems to have been successfully repaired with hot tar. We believe that the roof should be in good shape for another five years or so. The Director will be replacing the tables in the middle section of the library downstairs. Two of the tables are getting wobbly. They are all very heavy and the staff has to move them frequently in order to make room for programs. The Director showed the board the tables she plans to purchase. They are on lockable casters, and the table tops flip up for easy nesting.
2. Community engagement. The 11 Days for Compassion will take place April 1 – 11, 2017 with a focus on training community members in Restorative Practices and other dialog tools in order to interact compassionately and nonviolently. We will be offering many opportunities for people to celebrate diversity and to walk in another person’s shoes.
The Director is co-organizing the Illinois Library Association’s Legislative Meetup luncheon for Southern Illinois on February 27 in Mt. Vernon. Board members are encouraged to attend. The Director will be presenting Community Empowerment at the Reaching Forward South Illinois library conference in April.
3. Borrower’s Card policy review. Tabled.
Roland Person made a motion to thank the staff for their board reports. Obviously a lot of work goes into it.
Sharifa Stewart seconded. MOTION passed unanimously.
Adjourned at 5:10 p.m.
Next Board Meetings for 2017 (all in Public Library meeting room, 4:30 p.m., second Wednesday of each month): February 8, March 8, April 12, May 10, June 14, July 12, August 9, September 13, October 11,
November 8, December 13.
Joyce Hayes, Secretary
Prepared by: Diana Brawley Sussman, Library Director
Organizations in this Story
405 West Main Street
Carbondale, IL - 62901