Carbondale Library Board votes to keep non-resident fee collection as is
At a recent meeting, the Carbondale Public Library Board voted to continue collecting non-resident library fees through tax bills.
The Carbondale Public Library Board of Trustees oversees all operations at the library.
Below are the minutes from this meeting, as provided by the board.
Carbondale Public Library Board of Trustees
Wednesday, May 11, 2016
405 West Main St.
Introductions, audience and visitors. Visitors are asked to introduce themselves at this time and present any issues they wish to discuss. Visitors wishing to address specific agenda items will be granted two to five minutes at the discretion of the President, not to exceed a total of twenty minutes. The Library Board may cut short any comments that are irrelevant, repetitious, or disruptive. (Id. at 1425-26).
Philip Brown, President
Barbara Levine, Vice President
Don Prosser, Treasurer (1)
Joyce Hayes, Secretary (1)
Roland Person (1)
The number following the Trustee’s name indicates the number of absences this fiscal year.
Diana Brawley Sussman, Library Director
Gwen Hall Grosshenrich, Finance Manager
1.Approval of the April 13, 2016 minutes. Susan Tulis moved to approve. Harriet Simon seconded. One revision: add the name of the person who seconded the motion on social work intern honorarium. MOTION passed unanimously.
Correspondence and communications.
1. The Director asked for the Board’s opinion on whether to donate $100 to the Harvey Welch scholarship. Julian Pei moved to donate $100 to to the Harvey Welch scholarship. Sharifa Stewart seconded. 4 Ayes (Pei, Simon, Stewart, Tulis). 2 Nays (Brown, Levine). MOTION passed.
2. The Library Director has been selected by Centerstone to receive a Community Champion award.
1. Approval of bills payable up to and including bills due May 16, 2016 to June15, 2016. Julian Pei moved to pay bills. Philip Brown seconded. MOTION passed unanimously.
2. Acceptance of the financial report for April 2016. Finance Manager Gwen Hall produced charts showing revenue, expenditures, and prior year comparisons. Julian Pei moved to accept the financial report. Susan Tulis seconded. MOTION passed unanimously.
1. Building and grounds maintenance. See below.
2. Meeting room repairs. Work is underway and/or scheduled with a total cost estimated at around $16,000.
3. Architectural work for Brush building. Overall, the board preferred the proposal from Harlan Bohnsack. However, before selecting a course of action for the south wall of the Brush building, Philip Brown suggested that we need a plan to address the bigger long-term possibilities, such as expanding the library, renovating the Brush building, or continuing to maintain both buildings. The Library Director will look at options and numbers, talk to other libraries about how to fund an expansion, and possibly seek input from Harlan Bohnsack.
4. Vote on method for collecting non-resident fees. Philip Brown moved to continue using the tax bill method. Harriet Simon seconded. MOTION passed unanimously.
5. Trustee terms of office. The board was reminded of expiring terms to be appointed or reappointed by the Mayor.
6. Compassion survey www.nonviolentcarbondale.org. To create a plan for becoming a Compassionate City, input is being gathered via a survey. Input is needed from as many community members as possible. The board was encouraged to take the survey.
7. Other. Shannon Butler has completed her social work internship. She did a phenomenal job and has been integral to the launch of this innovative program. She created an excellent handbook to guide future interns.
Intern Eric Nasir will continue his internship through the summer.
1. Approval of April 27, 2016 Finance Committee minutes. Julian Pei moved to approve the minutes. Susan Tulis seconded. MOTION passed unanimously.
Harriet Simon reported that the Friends had a successful annual meeting with a presentation on the Crenshaw House.
Adjourned at 5:29 p.m.
Next Board Meetings for 2016 (all in Public Library meeting room, 4:30 p.m., second Wednesday of each month): June 8; July 13; August 10; September 14; October 12; November 9; December 14.
Joyce Hayes, Secretary
Prepared by: Diana Brawley Sussman, Library Director
Organizations in this Story
405 West Main Street
Carbondale, IL - 62901